Process Analytical Consulting
We are a process analytical consulting company and an NMR focused analytical testing laboratory with over 60 years of experience in the field of nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy (“NMR”) applied to the petroleum, petrochemical, pharmaceutical, specialty chemical, food and other industry sectors. Established in 1997, we specialize particularly in the application of high resolution NMR spectroscopy to on-line applications in the refining, petrochemical, pharmaceutical, and food industries. These applications enable real-time control and optimization of production plant processes that lead to cost savings for the customer.
Application Development and Automation
We are an application development company capable of working on NMR based applications on any NMR technology platform based on our collaboration with Spinmetrix SRL that focuses on custom software development for NMR method automation and execution. We actively develop applications on 43, 60, 80, 200, and 300+ MHz NMR systems and many examples of this are found in the presentations hosted on this site and on our blog.
We own and operate a high field (2 x 300 and 1 x 200 MHz) analytical NMR service laboratory for both liquid-state multi-nuclear and multi-dimensional NMR studies, as well as solid-state multi-nuclear studies utilizing magic angle spinning and cross-polarization techniques. This commercial NMR testing laboratory currently supports the work of over 300 companies. Projects range from method development to routine sample analysis and can be full service (includes interpretation) or simply a data collection and reporting service where PDF data reports or raw data are delivered to the customer. The lab also includes a 60 MHz permanent magnet NMR systems that is utilized for process FT-NMR applications.
Six TD-NMR spectrometers operating at 60 (5mm), 23 (10mm), 20 (18mm), 19.7 (10mm), 18.5 (20mm), and 14.5 (40mm) MHz are maintained for relaxation studies, low field NMR applications, and on-line/at-lin process control applications. We also have surface NMR probe/magnets for “one sided” NMR investigations.
We offer training programs tailored to develop and enhance small academic or industrial corporation NMR operations. We have developed a series of unique high field NMR chemometric databases that facilitate the expansion of NMR analysis capabilities to yield physical and chemical properties for a broad range of materials.
In the context of NMR materials testing we utilize our expertise for litigation support and provide expert witness testimony. We have consulted with several major oil companies in the NMR spectroscopy area transferring petroleum chemistry NMR knowledge to NMR laboratory “new hires”. The past decade of layoffs and outsourcing has led to a loss of competence in NMR areas throughout the industry. We are helping to fill the gap by bringing new hires up to speed on the capabilities of NMR in the petroleum arena.
For the past two decades we have been the only small independent company that has concentrated on all aspects of NMR spectroscopy – we operate a commercial high field NMR lab, support 60 MHz process NMR instrumentation, operate TD-NMR instrumentation, consult with corporations on NMR technology and application development, develop custom software for method automation, and integrate NMR technology with other analytical techniques.
- 300 and 200 MHz Liquid-State NMR Analysis – Multinuclear 1D and 2D – gHSQC, gHMBC, HMQC, HETCOR, DEPT, COSY, gCOSY DQCOSY, NOSY, TOCSY etc.- Examples
- Quantitative 1H and 13C NMR – Method Development and Validation, Purity Measurment, Identification
- NMR Analysis for REACH Documentation
- NMR Standard Methods – ASTM, USP, ISO – see list of methods that we perform.
- 200 MHz Solid-State NMR Analysis – Multinuclear with Magic Angle Spinning (MAS) – Examples
- NMR Interpretation and Quantitative/Qualitative Analysis of NMR Data
- 60 MHz High Resolution Process FT-NMR Application Development and Implementation – Examples
- Time-Domain (TD) NMR Services at 14-23 MHz – Hydrogen Content, Oil and Water, Fat Content, etc.
- Chemometric Based High Field NMR Predictions of Chemical and Physical Properties
- Laboratory Method Development and Automation for Both High Field (200 / 300 MHz) and 60 MHz NMR Systems
- NMR Analysis Automation Procedure Development
- NMR Operation and Theory Training – Principally Oriented on Process NMR Units and Varian NMR Spectrometers
- Chemometric Modeling (PLS, PCR, PCA, MLR, etc.) – Eigenvector Research Solo, Grams PLS-IQ, Pirouette, R
- Project and Product Management and Consulting
- On-Line Analyzer Validation Management
- Other Techniques Available include FTIR-ATR, UV-Vis, GC
- Process Analytical Technology Consulting
- Product Reverse Engineering through NMR Chemistry Investigation
- Custom NMR Application software for automation of NMR methods – see Spinmetrix